19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 31 32 33

'Happy Nappy Day' Gift : My first Baking attempt

34
A brand new OTG (Oven-Toaster-Griller) was added to my kitchen gadgets a few months ago. As with any gadget, OTG found its purpose initially in those many 'grilling' attempts & lived upto its promise. Then, it was a lull-time:) Before it would decide to throw some tantrums, thankfully we revived its use. 

Began with 'Baking' attempts next. First was an eggless cake by me and Sangee. Yumm it was! That gave me the confidence to make my 'first self attempt' at baking - wanted it to be an apt gift for Sangee herself on her Bday :) Geared up with all possible Baking Ingredients including Cocoa Powder, Vanilla & Chocolate Essence, Icing Sugar, Ready-made Icing, Choco Chips.... Yup my shopping basket was full and I was raring to go...


The D-Day dawned and I was all set with my dining table lined up with all these items, and an online recipe page on my Laptop.
Recipe: http://www.homecooksrecipe.com/2010/04/basic-chocolate-cake-recipe.html (Thanks)
What I wanted to bake: Chocolate Cake with Vanilla Essence, Egg & Choco Chips with some icing/dressing and choco syrup.
Method: Here you go :)
I followed the instructions provided in the recipe link that I've shared above. Some customization that I did were:
  • No Baking Soda: Replaced it with double quantity of Baking Powder instead. (1/2 tspn of Baking Soda - 1-1.5 tspn of baking powder)
  • No Butter Milk: When you use Baking Powder instead of Baking Soda, you should avoid butter milk. Instead, I used Milk
  • No Brown sugar - Just used the regular white sugar & powdered it. 
Final Result: 

Let me begin with what went well
  1. Cake did raise well and baked completely.
  2. Texture was smooth and ofcourse butter did its job!
  3. Taste was perfect 
  4. Cake was a winner with the crowd that I presented it for :) The bday girl loved it & so did others :)
What could have been better:
  1. Some felt that the cake could have had a bit more sugar (a bit more sweetening was required)
  2. Icing / Dressing was a disaster :( I went wrong in the consistency of creating the icing for the cone. So, when I started working, it was oozing out. Unfortunately, I was running late & no more cones left to finish the job... So I managed only a 'Happy BDay' on the top :)
  3. Forgot the choco chip altogether and therefore finally just embedded a few at the top
  4. I didn't add the choco syrup once I saw the dressing go wrong... probably should have done it :)
But am glad and happy that the final intent was met. Sangee and others loved the cake :) It was a winner with Kuchu, which is a treat for me - kids are real testers of such items especially cakes.


And now, I am armed with lots of learning... Am sure, I would get the dressing correct in the next attempt.

Labels: , ,

35 36 37 38